The Little Free Library (LFL) program, a “take a book, share a book” free book exchange, launched earlier this year in the Virgin Islands on St. Thomas and has since spread throughout the Territory. It all started with the first LFL on the WICO dock in Havensight back in March. Now there are 10 LFL’s across all three islands, with more locations in the works.
The concept of the Little Free Library was introduced to Princess Cruises Community Foundation (PCCF) by the Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands (CFVI) as a way for PCCF to help our islands recover from hurricanes Irma and Maria. The project has come to fruition thanks to important partnerships – with the USVI Department of Tourism, which helps to plan and maintain the libraries; with My Brother’s Workshop on St. Thomas/St. John/St. Croix and Crucian Heritage and Nature Tourism (CHANT) whose members design and build the Little Libraries. CFVI is so grateful to all of our partners who have made it possible to provide the wonderful gift of free books in the Virgin Islands.
Little Free Library is a nonprofit organization that inspires a love of reading, builds community, and sparks creativity by fostering neighborhood book exchanges around the world. Through Little Free Library book exchanges, millions of books are exchanged each year, profoundly increasing access to books for readers of all ages and backgrounds.
For more information about sponsoring or requesting a Little Free Library at a specific location in the Virgin Islands, please fill out our interest form.
Little Free Library Locations
- Frederiksted Health Clinic – Sponsored by First Bank, and built by the members of CHANT
- Canegata Playground in Christiansted – Sponsored by First Lady Yolanda Bryan
To watch a short highlight video, click here.
- Powell Park in Cruz Bay – Sponsored by Princess Cruises Community Foundation
- Coral Bay (By the mailboxes close to the Fire Station) – Sponsored by the Coral Bay Community Council
- Coral Bay (By Calabash Boom Affordable Housing mailboxes) – Sponsored by the Coral Bay Community Council
- Havensight Mall (In between Smoking Rooster and Sunglass Hut) – Sponsored by Princess Cruises Community Foundation
- Oswald Harris Court (In front of the Community Center) – Sponsored by Rock City
- Emile Griffith Park – Sponsored by Princess Cruises Community Foundation
- Roosevelt Memorial Park – Sponsored by First Lady Yolanda Bryan
- Scoops & Brew (Crown Bay Marina) – Sponsored by Scoops & Brew